Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies

Venue Information

A classroom with desks facing a chalkboard. Lecture Room B, The Queen's College

The 8–10 August 2022 Symposium will be held at The Queen's College, University of Oxford. The address for The Queen's College is:

 

High St

Oxford OX1 4AW
United Kingdom

 

All Symposium sessions will be held in Lecture Room B, which is located off the Back Quad on the ground floor.

 

Campus Map for The Queen's College
Download a campus map for The Queen's College. Lecture Room B is located off the Back Quad.
Queens College_Map.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [5.5 MB]
A view of gardens in the Front Quadrangle at The Queen's College. Front Quadrangle, The Queen's College

About The Queen's College

 

“Hall of the Queen’s Scholars at Oxford” was founded in 1341 by Robert de Eglesfield, a chaplain in the household of Queen Philippa, who named it in her honour. He envisaged an establishment of fellows, chaplains, ‘poor boys’ and various officials and servants, headed by a Provost. Membership was to be open, but with a preference for inhabitants of Cumberland and Westmorland. Initially Queen’s was poor, but the endowment slowly grew. Crucially, in 1343, Philippa secured for Queen’s a small hospital in Southampton with its lands, destined to be the basis of much of the College’s prosperity in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries as Southampton Docks expanded and surrounding farmland was developed.

 

After 1400 the preference for people from Cumberland and Westmorland became a monopoly, making Queen’s a community of north-westerners. During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries it prospered, and in Elizabeth’s reign, when it became one of the most popular Oxford colleges, there is growing evidence for the development of the tutorial system. Benefactions continued, notably those of Bishop Thomas Barlow (Provost 1658-77); Sir Joseph Williamson (Charles II’s Secretary of State); and Lady Elizabeth Hastings (died 1739), whose endowment of exhibitions from twelve schools in Cumberland, Westmorland and Yorkshire extended the College’s normal catchment area.

 

Meanwhile Queen’s was expanding. Williamson gave a building in 1671-2, and the magnificent Library, one of the finest in England, was added during 1693-6 to house Barlow’s books. Around 1700 the crucial decision was taken to rebuild the medieval College entirely, so that by the 1730s Queen’s was the only Oxford college to be housed entirely in Baroque buildings. The Front Quad, which has been called ‘the grandest piece of classical architecture in Oxford’, was heavily influenced by the great architect Nicholas Hawksmoor, who produced even more extravagant designs that were never executed.

 

During the eighteenth century Queen’s experienced the same decline as most colleges, and in the early Victorian period the same revival and reform. Since the late nineteenth century, it has developed a strong academic reputation, while solid endowments and wise management have made it secure and prosperous.

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies

E-mail